Portable heater: know these before you buy in 2023
Have you ever needed something you can carry along wherever you go to heat up the air around you? If yes, the portable heater is definitely an option. The weather is always changing according to seasons and regions of the world. While some people live in the temperature zones of the world, others inhibit the parts that are always cool. Countries that witness snow are part of such that have cool weather.
The unfortunate thing about this is that if you don’t have a good heater, you may not survive the cold. You may also not be active during the day and it may affect your job during the day. This has made many people go as far as installing heaters in their homes and offices to ensure that they continue to have warm temperatures for their bodies.
While these installable heaters can heat up your room and environment faster, they could also cause you some level of increase in your expenses. Take, for instance, you should expect an increase in your monthly or annual electricity bills. You are also running the danger of having a fire outbreak within your home. Moreover, your heating will not be coordinated and you will heat where you aught not heat up.
This is why you need a portable heater, one that is targeted. One you will fix to a particular direction and change it at will. It is cost-effective and does not affect your monthly expenses.
Portable heaters rarely cause fire outbreaks, especially with them being regularly standardized. There is currently an organization that ensures that every heater meets the required standard before it is pushed out to the market for sale. Asides from that, there are also several other personal approaches to it to ensure that you don’t experience a fire outbreak within your home.
Table of Contents
What is a portable heater?
A heater is a device designed to increase the temperature within your area. It can be fixed at a particular position while it is heating the temperature within the room or you can carry it from one place to another easily. Those ones that you can carry from one place to another easily are called portable heaters.
They are easy to be carried from point A to point B. One thing that works to the advantage of users is that it’s lightweight.
However, it may not cover a wide range as those ones that are fixed at a place. The portable heaters are made to be personal heaters. It positions it to target you alone. By doing so, you increase the temperature of the air that is reaching you.
It will be like blowing hot air at yourself. Such is enough to keep your body warm for a long time. This is very good as an office appliance, especially if you work in a place where the weather is always cold. Even if you work in an office with an installable heater, you can also use this heater to always ensure that you stay warm always.
Also, portable heaters are very easy to manage and maintain. There is no need for you to be an expert before you can use this device because it will not need your technical know-how to operate. There are already buttons on it and the buttons are directional.
The electricity consumption from portable heaters is also very minimal and its effect will not make much impact on your monthly electricity bill. Some can last up to 8 hours after each charge and comes with a fast type C charging cable which makes them great for your camping and hiking activities.
How does a portable heater work?
A portable heater works in a simple way. Below is the breakdown of steps it took to produce heat by a portable heater:
- Your device is connected to a power source to charge the battery (it can work while charging, too).
- Electrical energy is transformed to heat energy.
- The heat produced is pushed out to the air around us and this air circulates to make our environment warm.
The above steps are just an outline of how heat is produced and how it works to ensure that you remain warm while it is still in use. You will need to understand that some of the portable heaters come with a motor system that helps to rotate out the hot air and circulate it within our environment. Sometimes, this heat circulation is in form of radiation. There is a plate within the portable heater that helps to conduct this hot air first. This plate is mostly ceramic in nature. This heat or hot air produced is mostly transferred to the outer surface, especially towards its target.
Some of the portable heaters come with buttons to control the level of heat produced. Some even have levels or modes of heat produced graded from one to four; with one being the lowest and the fourth being the highest.
You must take note of it, else, you could put it at the lowest level and think that the heater is not working. Sometimes, you may need to use a remote to control the level of heat or hot air that should come out of the heater.
The good thing here is that most heaters have their set point. At such a set point or temperature, it will stop producing heat and begins to cool to its lowest limit. It is at such a limit that it can start heating again.
The good side of these portable heaters having this set-point is that it helps to reduce the risk of fire outbreaks. It means that your heater can stop at a point rather than to continue to heat every time.
Can electric wall heaters cause fires?
Yes, electric wall heaters can cause a fire. However, it depends on a number of factors. First, a combustible material needs to be around for the fire to break out. If your portable heater is allowed to be on for a long time and it doesn’t have a thermostat that can always regulate the level of heat produced, it could lead to overheating of the heater. The danger associated with this overheating is that if you have door curtains around the heater, it could lead to fire outbreaks because of the hot air that comes from your overheated heater. Other combustible materials include your chair and other plastic materials which can easily lead to fire outbreaks.
This is why it is important for you to always get a heater that has thermostat regulation. It is very important for the safety of your children. Yes, when you have kids, you need to be very careful of the heater you buy as getting the ones that overheat may also lead to thermal burns on the skins of your children.
Federal fire agencies and other emergency agencies in the United States of America have recorded a couple of fire outbreaks s a measure to avoid the fire outbreaks recorded in the past and have listed modalities that all portable heaters must meet up before marketing. These measures have in many ways limited the level of fire outbreaks in recent times. All portable heaters this year are made to have the TLC technology that helps to reduce the chances of fire outbreaks.
What causes portable heaters to catch fire?
There are many factors that cause portable heaters to catch fire. Below is the list of factors that could cause the fire outbreak:
- Proximity to combustible materials: sometimes, you could put your heater on and leave it on your bed while doing other things. The portable heater can easily be covered with other clothes while it is still heating. As it continues to heat up while being covered with a dry cloth, a point will reach when the heat produced will dry the cloth and if the hot air continues to come out of the heater, the cloth could catch fire. From the piece of cloth on fire, the fire may go around to affect other parts of the room leading to huge economic loss. It is also possible you could leave your portable heater on your bed beside your baby. As your baby turns around, his or her leg can push the heater making it fall on the rubber or plastic bedsheets and leading to fire outbreaks. There are many combustible materials within your room that lead to fire outbreaks when they come in contact with an overheated portable heater.
- Lack of ceramic plate: ceramic plate carries the hot air but itself is never hot. So, it is a material that makes it easy for you to touch the heater even when it is heating. Sometimes, the plate is where the hot air that is being pushed out through the motor rotator lands on it first before leaving for the air outside. Therefore, those heaters that don’t have ceramic plates may overheat easily and the body can also be uncontrollably hot predisposing to fire outbreaks.
- Long hours of heating: when you leave your portable heater to heat for a long time, there is a tendency that it could overheat and cause a fire outbreak. This fire outbreak from portable heaters occurs mostly at night when you are sleeping and mistakenly push off the personal heater. It can cause you to make the heater to be in contact with combustible materials. Therefore, you can position your heater well anytime you are going to sleep off for a long with it turned on.
- Absence of thermostatic regulator: thermostat is a temperature regulator that is in most electronics like pressing Iron, heaters, coolers, etc. What it does is that it stops heating at a particular temperature; if the heater is to maintain the production of hot air to make the air around the environment to be 40 degrees Celsius, at such a temperature, it will stop heating. It is important to note that at a lower temperature, it will also start again to heating. The main target of the thermostat is to keep the air around you at an average temperature.
What happens if you leave a portable heater on?
When you leave your portable heater on for a long time, you will expose it to overheating. This overheating has its own negative consequences. One such consequence is that your home could catch fire.
Asides from the fire outbreak, you will also be increasing your monthly electricity bills. However, if you use the rechargeable heaters, you will not increase your bills badly.
How can you prevent fire from portable heaters?
Preventing a fire from portable heaters starts from the point you are about to make your purchase for the heater. There is a need for you to buy personal or portable heaters with the thermostatic regulator. This will help to turn off your heater the moment it reaches its threshold. With this level of control over it, it will be hard for your device to overheat.
Also, positioning your portable heater is very important. You have to ensure that you didn’t keep it near combustible materials as such can predispose your home to fire outbreaks.
If your heater doesn’t have a thermostat, be sure to turn it off intermittently. Turning it off intermittently will help to stop overheating.
Why space heater stopped working?
A space heater can stop working for several reasons ranging from a power outage to a faulty heater. When your heater is unable to work, you have to unplug it from the socket and try another device on the socket. When you try another device on the socket and it works, then it means that the fault may not be coming from the socket. It helps to tell you that the socket is fine.
The next thing you will need to confirm is to know if the voltage of the power is enough to carry the power required by the heater. Some heaters need high voltage to work, so if it has low current passing through the wires, it could make your space heater not work.
Also, your space heater may stop working if it falls from a height to the ground. This is enough to make it not work. It is not working because there is a possibility of wires cutting off while it falls down. You can attempt to fix this by opening the screw to check inside it.
Which portable heater is the most energy efficient?
To know the most effective and efficient portable heaters, here are factors to always consider as listed below:
- Cost-effectiveness: before you buy any portable heater, you have to ensure it is worth it. It is not enough to have a portable heater. It has to be able to really heat up your environment easily. You need a reliable device that can give you what you want in real-time. You need a portable space heater that can release hot air within seconds. It has to also be durable. Not a device that will spoil within a few days of making use of it. If you also need it in your office and other places, it is important that you get a personal heater that is ergonomic and portable, too.
- Safety: the safety of the user is important. If you are getting it for your children it is important to consider their safety first. For example, heaters that have thermostats and ceramic plates are hardly dangerous to children because they don’t produce excessive heat that can affect the skin. You can hold any part of it while it is heating without the fear of you sustaining a thermal burn.
- Presence of thermostat: thermostat is more like the temperature controller. It controls the level of heat produced by turning off the device at a particular temperature. When the heater is heated, the thermostat will continue to monitor it against overheating.
- Rechargeable: getting a space heater that is rechargeable is also very important. It is important as it helps to reduce your incessant dependence on the power supply. This means that you can make use of the device even when there is no electric power supply and it will still heat up well. This is really a great achievement in the world of technology that doesn’t cost much to afford.
- Decreased chances of overheating: there is a chance of every heater overheating, however, improvements in technology led to portable heaters having reduced heat production. This temperature regulator has led to a well-controlled heating style from the space heaters.
- Ease of use: you have to go for a device that will be easy for you to use. You need one that works with buttons. You can change different modes just by clicking some buttons. It has to also be easy to clean and maintain. You don’t need the one that will make you call for an engineer every time there are issues.
- Energy consumption: while your primary concentration should be on the heat produced by the heater, it is also important that you consider the extent of heat consumption. This is because it will determine the amount you will spend monthly or annually.
- The extent of coverage: the extent of coverage is not the same with every heater. Therefore, you need to know the extent of coverage of the one you want to buy. It is important to note that with wider areas of coverage, your cost of purchase may also increase.
Where to put the portable heater?
You can choose different places in your room or office to place your portable heater. However, the safest place to place your heater is on the table. In fact, most portable heaters are more like tabletop heaters.
The table top is the safest place because it will reduce the level of contact with combustible materials which ordinarily can cause fire outbreaks. Moreover, selecting the place nearer to you to place will really help you so much. It will help you to target it we’ll toward you and make the hot air around you to be effective.
Depending on the range of heating by the device, you can choose to bring it close to yourself or make it a bit far. The range of placing this device should depend majorly on your comfort and need. When you are outside your room, it may be a bit difficult to really enjoy the level of warmth you have when you use it inside your room. This is because the hot air produced is cooled by circulating cold air.
Portable heaters: our 2023 recommendations
The Handy Heater has no exposed heating elements. The ceramic heating plate is located inside the device and has a plastic casing that does not heat up. You can unplug the heater at any time, pick it up, and move it wherever you like. And you don’t have to worry about burning your fingers!
The Handy Heater also features a tip-over safety switch to guarantee the safety of your home and family. If the unit gets tipped over, it will shut off automatically, eliminating the chance of starting a fire. Just place the heater on a level surface and press the anti-tip switch to turn the power back on! And its ETL listing shows it is tested and proven safe to operate.
- ✅ The Ceramic heating element – transfers the heat to the device in seconds so that your room heats up quickly.
- ✅ Adjustable Wattage – Ultra Heater 3 draws between 800 and 1200 watts depending on the temperature setting you choose.
- ✅ Compact and Lightweight – Ultra Heater 3 are ultra-portable and you can take it anywhere.
- ✅ Saves money – the Ultra Heater features the latest energy-saving technology that uses less energy than traditional heaters, meaning lower energy bills for you.
- ✅ Ultra Quiet – Ultra Heater produces a maximum 56dB low noise and will not disturb you while working, studying, or resting.
- ✅ Overheat and tip-over protection – perfect for families with pets and active toddlers to avoid the risk of fire.
- ✅ Flame retardant body – in addition, to overheating protection, Ultra Heater features a flame retardant body for user safety.
✅ Heats Up a Room Easily – Just plug it in, set the desired temperature and it will instantly heat up in 2 seconds. Heater Pro X will make your room warmer in a matter of minutes.
✅ Energy Efficient, Saves Money on Electricity – HeatNow technology heats up a room instantly, while the device stays cool on touch so no one can get burnt. Instead of paying to heat the whole house or office, simply bring the heater with you to whatever room you are in.
✅ Compact And Portable – It is extremely portable making it perfect to use it anywhere in your house, on your travel, office or garage.
Frequently Asked Questions on the portable heater?
Will portable heaters save money?
Yes, portable heaters save money compared to installable heaters. It is more economical to use portable heaters than fixed heaters because they don’t depend on electricity all the time. There are times that you could depend on the already charged battery within it to heat your room for some time. However, while portable heaters save money for you, their coverage is narrow compared to installable heaters.
How long does a portable heater last?
A portable heater that is rechargeable can last between 5 to 8 hours after every 100% charge. This level of charge is dependent on the quality you bought. There is always features and specifications for every portable heater, it is important that you consider it before making your purchase.
Why does the space heater keep shutting off?
Some space heaters keep shutting off to avoid overheating. Those portable heaters with thermostatic regulators shut off when the temperature reaches its threshold to shut off. It will not give you much sign other than you noticing the increase in the temperature around you when it goes off. However, if it keeps going off on its own, then it may be due to the cable connecting it to the socket. You have to carefully consider the major factor affecting it.
Are portable heaters safe?
Not all portable heaters are safe. Some of them may not be safe, especially those that do not have controlling technology. However, recent portable heaters are safe because they all have to follow a particular standard before they are out for mass marketing.
Conclusion on the portable heater in 2023
A portable heater is very good for your health as it heats up the air around you. It rescues you from the scourging cold winter. For you to really get the best, you will need to have the above recommendations at your forefingers to avoid fire outbreaks within your home.